At least eight dead in Afghanistan Kabul blast

A member of the Afghan security forces stands guard on a roadside in Kabul (29 July 2015)
The Afghan security forces have frequently had to deal with Taliban militant attacks
At least eight people have been killed and more than 100 injured by a powerful car bomb in the Afghan capital Kabul early on Friday morning, health officials have told the BBC.
Police say that the bomb went off in the Shah Shahid area of the city.
A medic quoted by the Reuters news agency said that injured people including children were rushing to a nearby hospital for treatment.
A security source told Reuters that the target was probably an army compound.
The source said that the number of fatalities was expected to rise.
Car bomb in Khost province (12 July 2015)
Suicide car bombings are a favoured tactic of the Taliban
The BBC's Khalil Noori says that the powerful blast damaged shops and houses and that most of the casualties are civilians.
On Thursday at least six people, including three policemen, were killed in a suicide bombing in eastern Afghanistan.
A lorry filled with explosives was detonated outside a police compound in Puli Alam, capital of Logar province.
The Taliban claimed the bombing, the first major attack since the militants confirmed last week that their leader, Mullah Omar, was dead.
On Monday the Afghan Taliban released a video which they said showed members of the group pledging allegiance to the new leader, Mullah Akhtar Mansour.